Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Picture's Worth a Million Interpretations

We are raised to believe books make us smarter, broaden our vocabulary and open our eyes to different viewpoints. What about the books that dare us to challenge the knowledge we have gained and force us to learn the messages behind words that describe how we act everyday? What about when we read to defy every viewpoint we have consciously and unconsciously come to believe in?

This is exactly what "True Enough" by Farhad Manjoo does, but not from one bias viewpoint, in the manner many issues are dealt with in our world today, but from every angle of every "what if," while giving each side a fair opportunity to plea it's case.

Manjoo has somehow separated the objective from the subjective to explain the effects of the two that we see, and live, in society everyday. Being a subjective person is something many people don’t want to admit but, as Manjoo says, "We all want objectivity, but we disagree about what objectivity is."

There is a topic in his book that I consider profound and would like to break apart from my own point of view and mere curiosity...

I've still in my head at this very moment the work of Ken Light, a photographer Manjoo writes about. Light believes it is "difficult to shake criticism that comes through a camera because people sense a deeper truth in photographs" but today, the faith we have in finding the truth in photos is slowly slipping away, thanks to the day and age of Adobe programs like Photoshop. It is easier than ever for anyone to distort a photo. I can personally say that my own experiences with Photoshop have never been ones I thought could change what I allow people to take from a photo, until now.

Light is most famous for his monographs including “Texas Death Row”, photos of men awaiting execution. I chose to talk about Light's photography because as Manjoo writes about the lack of accuracy even in our most trusted sources, being pictures, people still take many different angles from a single photo-even the most powerful pictures, like those taken by Light- distorted or not.

Manjoo quotes Hastorf and Cantril who said "It is inaccurate and misleading to say that different people have different 'attitudes' concerning the same thing, for the thing is simply not the same for different people." In this case, that thing being a photo.

While many people may see Light's photos of “Texas Death Row” as photos of monsters, men who have disregarded the worth of life by taking it away from others, I saw that, and more.

Light's photo of Glen McGinnis is of a young boy who is sentenced to death for murder. The photo is one of him on his 21st birthday spent awaiting execution.

It’s hard, even as an aspiring journalist, to put what I felt when looking at this photo into words, but with some time sitting in my quiet apartment, this is what I took away…

I took away sorrow, pain, regret and a lot of darkness from this picture, a boy with a need for guidance. A future lossed, a family devasted... or a young boy who wished he had a family who cared about whether he spent another day alone waiting for death. I took away the feeling I had on my 21st birthday, the excitement, the happiness. I took away how naïve I was at 21 to the pain and struggle in this world. I saw a life wasting away and lost to the streets of crime. I took away a feeling of wanting to change someone's life, because we never know what our words may do for someone in pain.

Someone else may take away a kid waiting to get exactly what he deserves to get-death. It’s hard to say if anyone ever deserves death, and who we are to decide this, but that is another blog for another time…

This picture is not for me what it may be for someone else, therefore already setting the platform for different interpretations, as Hastorf and Cantril mention earlier. Photography has always been intriguing to me and I could never explain exactly why, but Manjoo helped me understand that we all pull from photos a different viewpoint that is a part of who we are and how we view the world, and for that I must say, I’m grateful.

18 comments:

  1. I think you elaborated very well on the Ken Light photos in your blog. I liked how you described your own emotions and feelings towards the photos. The links were also very helpful because they allowed me to view the pictures and see what kind of emotion I felt from them as well. You did a really good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the extra links that were given to help understand the information provided even better. I also thought the fact that Melissa focused her paper so well on one topic also helped the reader clarify what she wanted to say with a focus. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you focused on a completely different aspect of Manjoo's book. This post was unique and I enjoyed reading it. I am glad you stuck to sharing about one specific idea that caught your eye, and your ran with it. Helping the reader understand your takeaway well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I really enjoyed your style of writing. It's very clear and easy to read! Great post and I enjoyed not only reading a summary of what Manjoo's thoughts are on photographs but also how his thoughts helped to shape your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you did a nice job on taking an example out of the book and discussing it. I thought your headline went well with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite of the posts that I've read on this topic. It's nice to see that you did some of your own forming of opinions and really dove into the subject matter. The emotional and personal reflection is the glue that holds this post together. Thanks for an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very professional. Every paragraph transfered very smoothly to the next. A good read, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the different prospective you took. It seems like Manjoo's book made you think deeper of what is going on in news today. Great job Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel I think this was an excellent way to tell a story on photographs and what they have become in this day in age. You took this book and focused it on one subject in the book. There was so much going on in the book that, that was hard to do and you did great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Top-DOG lead. Post flows extremely well, incorporating Manjoo concepts and quotes of other researchers for your example. Just a great example (Texas execution photos).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mel! First, love the headline, and it's true! Ken Light's study is a great topic. It is very scary what some can do with the power of photoshop as well. Well written post and very professional!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great headline...got me interested in the post right away. I really like how you talk about the Ken Light photos and express you opinion about them. The post also flowed well. Nice job

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!! You really captured the essence of emotion in this post. You had me at every word. I felt your emotions. You took me there with you. My eyes swelled with tears. I simply love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed reading a different take on the Manjoo book. Your example really helped get your point across. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your focus on the photography aspect. Really liked how you tied it into yourself and did not focus primarily on the theories presented in the book. Good perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, great job! I like how you took the topics of this book and made them realistic. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very heartfelt. Made solid points from the book about objectivity vs. subjectivity. Great example with "Texas Death Row."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great intro, great title, awesome overview!

    ReplyDelete